Thinking more along the lines of Cup ‘o Noodles, but the point will be to supply all your swimmers with small cups, to work on backstroke technique.
Borrowing from an old drill (which I just realized needs a video… stay tuned) Green Bottle Backstroke, we had everyone grab a small, plastic cup and proceed with practice.
Main Set (short course yards):
– 10 x 50 on :50 – 25 back 25 free
– 10 x 50 on 1:00 – kick on your back with arms in a streamline position
Grab your cups – they should be filled a little less than half-way.
– 12 x 25 kick on :10-:15 rest. Cup on head and hands held down to your sides.
– 12 x 25 swim on :10-:15 rest. Cup on head. Start with hands at the sides, when stable, start to swim backstroke. Keep the kick going through the initial transition from kicking to swimming… or the cup will fall.
– 12 x 25 swim on :10-:15 rest. NO CUP. Carry the stable head into this length.