Our set of the week offers many chances to practice starts, breakout speed, fast turns, and finishing speed.
UP-AND-OUT SPEED SET: 1350
Three rounds of the following:
5 X 50
1 X 200 easy recovery
Round #1: 50s are on 1:20 sendoff/turnaround
Round #2: 50s are on 1:40
Round #3: 50s are on 2:00
How to do the set:
1. Start each 50 from a dive (use the blocks or side of the pool).
2. Instead of going ALL-OUT FAST on all of the 50s (in which case you probably wouldn’t REALLY be able to give 110% on each 50), try a different approach…
* On the first 50 in each round, do a fast breakout and attack the first 3 or 4 strokes, then shut down and go easy for the rest of the 50.
* On the 2nd 50 in each round, do a fast breakout, attack the first few strokes, maintain your speed through the turn, then swim easy for the rest of the 50.
* On the 3rd 50, keep the speed going through the turn, the breakout, and one or two strokes.
* On the 4th 50, keep the speed going for 40 yards/meters.
* On the final 50 in each round, put everything together for an ALL-OUT 50.